The London Phoenix
This London house, built in 1725, was vacant, uninhabitable, and had a caved-in roof when Chris and Sarah Dyson purchased it in 1997. And they spent the next eighteen years restoring it. The home was at one time a physician’s house in a neighborhood occupied by Huguenot silk weavers. In the 1940s, it was completely refurbished after an intense vibration from a nearby World War II bomb devastated parts of it. Walls were removed and large steel supports were installed in the center of the space to help maintain the integrity of the building. It was turned into a workspace, as were many of the buildings in London in the 1940s, as most people chose to live outside of town in those unsettled times.